Monday, Sept 8th –My interest in sailing started
as a kid, when our parents would take us camping for vacation, we owned a small
plastic sailboat called a Sunfish; in my teens my Dad, brother and cousin
bought Lasers, bigger sail, much faster and a lot of more fun. Then my cousin
bought a 23’ sailboat which 5 of us would take across Lake Ontario for a
weekend, then upgraded to a 28’ sailboat that you can actually stand in. But it
wasn’t until a once-in-a-life-time sailing trip to the BVI with my Dad, brother
and two older cousins just before getting married to my First Mate, that I
totally feel in love with the cruising life-style…I set a life motto and goal
of 50 by 50…a 50 foot sailboat by age 50 and then go sailing. Every year, it
was a guys weekend sail trip on Neil Bower’s 36’ Swan called Signet III.
Neil
has been a great friend with great conversations about sailing which has helped
plenty. Since that once-in-a-life-time trip, Julie and I have been sailed the
BVI's twice, once with Neil, and now sailing our own boat towards that dream!
My First Mate grew up around boating as well. Julie’s father, Gord, built his
own 22 foot cabin cruiser power boat when she was little. It took him 3 summers to build right in their backyard. Once, Julie and I went
out into Humber Bay on their boat, it was dark, the outboard 115hp engine
failed and I had to paddle like hell with one oar against the wind to land it on
the rocks. We were so unprepared back then…no VHF radio, no flares…we could
have ended up across Lake Ontario in New York. We are much better prepared
today!
![]() |
| Neil's Signet III |
Our first objective this morning is fuel and water, right
across the canal, we can actually see it. We had planned our timing for 10:00
at slack tide, but there is a large Mayflower like ship in front of the fuel
dock blocking access. I hailed the marina on the VHF, the Mayflower was going to
take another hour to fill their 1,000 gallon tank. The alternative was to
reverse up the other side of the 300 feet dock in a narrow channel…the
attendant commented on a job well done…knowing the tides, particularly slack
tide, is a wonderful thing. We put 35 gallons into our tank and filled all
four fuel cans on deck (5 gallons each).
It was to be a short day, only 21nm. With the current
helping, we were moving at a good speed coming down the top of the Chesapeake,
heading for the Sassafras River. The winds picked up just before turning up the
river, and guess what, the wind is on our nose again to reduce our SOG to
3.9knts. Several miles up the river, we anchor, settled in and called US Customs
to check-in. Officer Betty (you must record all calls and conversations with
Customs) said the system was down but would definitely call us back today…at
19:30 I called backed and Officer Rodriguez said I need to call back in the
morning, which I did…”what’s your Cruising License number?...okay, have a nice
day.” There are several regions/sectors, each with a different number to call.
Their systems don’t seem to be linked as they ask for the same info every time…it’s
bit of a nuisance and you don’t want to make a mistake by not calling.
The water is definitely nicer here as it gets a lot of fresh
water from the river but it's still greenish and you can’t see two feet down; and the area is
very beautiful but Julie nor I feel like jumping in since the hot weather has
past. We’re looking very forward to the warm crystal clear waters of the Caribbean.
![]() |
| Sassafras River at sunset |


No comments:
Post a Comment