Friday, September 5, 2014

Now its time to relax!

Friday, Sept. 5 – at 06:00, it’s not bright enough but even worse, there is fog. We go back to bed for 30 minutes and we shove off with enough visibility to see the crab pots on our way out. We turn the radar and running lights on and this time, only 1.5 knots of current and small waves, it is still helpful for both of us to watch for floaty things and stay on course to make it to the shipping lane. We start out with 7knts SOG and soon start to drop back to 6.4knts…that late start is costing us. However, as we get closer to the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal (C&D) they have it closed due to the fog. We hear several boats on the VHF that are anchored waiting for the canal to re-open. The area clears on the east side, and I hail the canal authority for a status….still fogged in on the west end. We drop our speed and hover by the opening. As they open…we’re first in this 200 foot wide canal and the current is pulling us along at 6.4knts.

At anchor in Chesapeake City
Most other boats that entered the canal with us, no all other boats, continue on past Chesapeake City (CC) which is mile 13.7 of 14 on the C&D canal; the Chesapeake is just around the corner. We turn in and drop 
anchor in the small basin; the air is stagnant, its hot and humid…worst that we have ever experienced. CC J
marks a milestone for us, we now consider the more stressful part of the trip is behind us. We have arrived in the Chesapeake…we made it across Lake Ontario, through the locks of the Erie Canal, down the Hudson, through NY Harbour, out on the ocean overnight and up the Delaware… it’s time to relax and celebrate! We want to thank all our friends who have
A variety of rums...most are gifts from friends!
helped and supported us, especially those who have made it difficult to choose which anchor drink should we have?...I think Julie likes rum

I would also like to thank the Admiral, First Mate - my beautiful wife for her companionship, love and editing of this blog...we make a great team!

We dropped the dinghy & motor and went ashore to scout out the docking fees, also where can we get fuel and water, deposit our garbage. We also check out some of the local restaurants. 
Well, another Tiki Bar right where we tied up our dinghy…imagine that? We stopped in for a drink and lunch – Ahi tuna salad and fries with melted cheese and crab…both were excellent!



Later in the afternoon, another boat by-passes the marina docks and enters the basin to anchor in 8-10ft of water by us. He drops his anchor four times…forth time is the worst, his stern is now 40ft from my stern…I consider putting my fenders down. Another boat comes in, he drops his anchor on top of mine (or damn close), so I call out, he ignores me but his wife acknowledges my presence. I tell him, “My anchor is right around there, can you move a little more that way?” He asks how much rode (anchor line) I have out; I tell him 40-50ft (which isn't even the minimum ratio of 5:1). He shakes his head like I'm an idiot and doing it all wrong, so I come back to him, as I'm not going to take his sh!t, “Is there a problem with that?”. He picked up anchor and dropped it a little further out and didn't hear another word…they are out there!


We were both tired from the early start, powered up the genie to run the Air Conditioning, had a shower and read my new Kindle for a bit, Stupid White Men…a nice quiet night...aaaahhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment