Saturday, Sept 6th – Another hot and humid day to
relax, but first a few chores/projects to complete. While I finished securing
and fibreglassing the floor (a 2’ by 2’ hole I had to cut out before departing home
port in order to replace the 20 gallon forward waste (poop tank) in the
V-berth (forward guest cabin) and cleaning out the shower pump strainer, Julie
was also sweating bullets doing a thorough clean of the boat. Since we were
planning our next water fill up we allowed ourselves a longer shower aboard.
Groceries were next on the agenda for the day.
We dinghy to the marina, called the local cab, that lives 20
minutes away, but he is leaving now. With time to kill we wondered around this historic little town. The town has managed to stop WalMart from opening a store.
It’s a $22 cab ride one-way (I wish they opted for WalMart), we get a break with the offer of $18 each way…these will be expensive groceries. As we come out of the grocery, the skies have darkened, now it’s a race to get back to the boat to close the hatches and portholes before the rain. Just as we unpacked the dinghy and closed up the boat heavy rain came down with lightning and thunder not far off. I clipped on a battery jumper cable (yes, like the one used to jump start your car) to the upper shroud (the metal cable that runs from the top of the mast to the deck) and put the other end into the water…if struck, the lightning will find the path of least resistance to the water, hopefully sparing our electronic systems.
It’s a $22 cab ride one-way (I wish they opted for WalMart), we get a break with the offer of $18 each way…these will be expensive groceries. As we come out of the grocery, the skies have darkened, now it’s a race to get back to the boat to close the hatches and portholes before the rain. Just as we unpacked the dinghy and closed up the boat heavy rain came down with lightning and thunder not far off. I clipped on a battery jumper cable (yes, like the one used to jump start your car) to the upper shroud (the metal cable that runs from the top of the mast to the deck) and put the other end into the water…if struck, the lightning will find the path of least resistance to the water, hopefully sparing our electronic systems.
We watched another anchor dance and then went ashore to the
Tiki Bar for a drink. I forgot to wear my shoes but they let me in anyway. Back
to the boat for a game of Scrabble.

No comments:
Post a Comment