Tuesday, August 26, 2014

White-knuckle approach to Manhattan

August 26th, another beautiful sunny day, Steve would be at the club for 09:30 to drive us to West Marine, so we timed it to go ashore with enough time to shower…we also brought our garbage of course (the trick to garbage I'm told is not to bring it on-board in the first place…we’re getting there). The Nyack Boat Club (NBC) is just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge;
Tappen Zee Bridge
 one of the largest infrastructure projects in America is the replacement of this massive bridge that crosses the Hudson…the only other bridge over the Hudson south of Tappan Zee is the George Washington Bridge (GWB) – a double level bridge.


The boat traffic is far less than on the weekend…noticeable because we have been on a mooring ball in the Hudson River so we get the wake of all the pleasure boats and barges. There is very little wind today and very humid again – we love it, we just wish we were in a clear water lagoon that we could jump in to…definitely not the Hudson!

Steve and Julie
Our new friend, Steve, was prompt. Steve is retired, smart, friendly, and a generous man that has been so very helpful. He has two well established daughters and hopes one day they would be able to sail south. He drove us to West Marine, the grocery and then a liquor store. Steve dropped us back at the dock and we said our good-byes with an invite to come join us in the Caribbean. Afterwards, Julie and I talk about how good people, more than ever on this journey, will come into our lives, make a lasting impression and then exit just as quickly. We’re going to need more boat cards (a business card shared by cruisers with an image of your boat, email, blog URL and other pertinent contact info – Skype, call sign, cell number boat name and specs).

We lift and mount the dinghy motor, lift the dinghy and secure it in the davits (cranes off the stern to lift the dinghy), start the engine and electronics, drop the mooring ball lines and head towards the center of the Tappan Zee Bridge. We timed our departure for just after high tide so we would have the current helping us down river…it will move faster over the next several hours as we make our way 22 miles downriver to the 79th Street Boat Basin…we've been told it’s not the most comfortable stay with the wake of all the city water taxis and been much closer to all the passing boats.


About 15 miles downriver, just before reaching the GWB, the wind picked up; coming from the south the wind was on our nose blowing upriver, the current was going downriver…
GW Bridge
when you have opposing wind and current the waves stand up! We were crashing into 3-4 waves, with 19knts of wind pushing us back and at this point of the river we had 3 knts of current helping to move us forward…waves were splashing over our bow with spray landing on our dodger (front wind-shield)…we had already closed all hatches and portholes. We make our approach to the 79th Street Boat Basin and their mooring field looking for our reserved mooring ball – NW10. Most balls at the north end of the field are empty; its about ½ mile from the actual boat basin where the office is located. The very first ball has a large sail boat on it, as we come closer it sure looks like NW10 to me…it is NW10. We are quickly moving down to the next ball (clearly NW11) with current now moving us about 5knts (that’s just current – it’s like being in a river; no, it is a river). The next couple balls are not legible…I'm sure they screwed up and NW10 is not vacant (its the only mooring ball they will allow us due to our size and weight), we have 5 knts of current, strong winds and 3 foot waves…screw it, I yell to Julie who is standing on the bow with boat hook in hand ready to reach over to haul up the mooring lines that dangle in the water attached to the mooring ball (the mooring ball is attached to a heavy concrete block usually by heavy chain), I yell to her, “we’re taking that one”. I turn the boat around as I need to approach the ball against the current…the boat now has the current hitting us on the side pushing us further downriver with great force, other mooring balls are encroaching on our manoeuvre; I jam it in to reverse and throttle up not wanting other mooring lines to tangle in my prop, with the wheel turned hard left I jam it in forward and throttle up, the boat makes its turn and I throttle up some more…we’re not making headway…we’re sitting even with the boat next to us. I put the throttle right down, praying the engine doesn't hiccup at this point. We slowly make our way to the mooring ball, Julie reaches over the bow, extends the boat hook and pulls up one mooring line of two while I try to hold the boat in position. She manages to get the one line around our bow cleat and then goes for the next line…Julie gets both lines on our cleats, she turns around, drops the boat hook and says, “That’s it, I'm done…that wasn't fun”. She said her legs were pretty wobbly on the walk back to the cockpit...so she sat down to regroup. I went up on deck, gave kudos and a proud smile and confirmed the lines were secure. Yet still a little shaky, we embrace our success! All this happened in a matter of a few minutes…we crack open a bottle of 12 year Trinidadian rum and sit in the cockpit to unwind. 
View from the Boat Basin
Within moments…Julie’s fear was gone and replaced with pride and a beaming smile of excitement at what had just transpired. Our drink isn't finished yet and our good friend, Anand, calls, “I'm here, where can I park?” Anand, who lives in Lorne Park, about 15 minutes from our old home in Canada, had a little time off and jumped on his BMW RS1200 motorcycle to visit us for the night and then on to another friend of his in Connecticut. We’re hoping it will take him a while to park and make his way back to the Boat Basin as we wanted the current and waves to die down before dropping the dinghy and motor for the ½ mile trip to pick him up. He didn't take long enough but Julie and I manage with the dinghy and I head in to register our arrival as well. I lied, “Yes, were on NW10”, obviously they don’t keep good records. Although, it didn't help me sleep thinking that we could float down the Hudson with a mooring ball attached to our bow in the middle of the night. Anand arrives with a bottle of 15 year old Eldorado (that's rum), 
Anand & Dwayne
we sit in the cockpit and get caught up on life and watch that we are not dragging the concrete block below…by 01:00 we haven’t moved and retire for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment