August 21st, it had rained on and off most of the
night; we awoke and shoved off at 06:40. Everything was still wet but the rain
had stopped. Not more than 5 minutes from dock, heavy rain and fog embraced us…we slowed
down as the weather radar showed it would pass soon...by the time we arrived at our very
last Lock (the Federal Lock in Troy, NY) the rain had stopped and we had a smooth
introduction into the Hudson River…the big bad Hudson!
What a difference, 30 foot concrete walls, city bridges with morning traffic, big tug boats and much larger boats as we passed through Troy, NY. We rode the current with good speeds until the tidal currents worked against us and we slowed to only 4.0knts.
What a difference, 30 foot concrete walls, city bridges with morning traffic, big tug boats and much larger boats as we passed through Troy, NY. We rode the current with good speeds until the tidal currents worked against us and we slowed to only 4.0knts.
We were pushing against the current in order to make it 40 miles to
Hop-O-Nose Marina in Catskill, NY where we would have our mast stepped (lifted off
our deck to make BoomDeYada look like a sail boat again). For the last hour, the winds picked up
and the wave chop was bigger than we had in Oneida Lake a few days previous. Just as the tide and
current begun to change in our favour, we turned in to the Catskill River and then ¾
mile to Hop-O-Nose Marina. Sean, the proprietor, met us at the dock and
instructed us to get the mast ready for stepping, they will start early the next morning.
Julie and I went for a few afternoon appetizers at the
Creekside Restaurant (part of the Marina), then walked in to town to visit
AT&T and Radio Shack. After this long day, we went back to relax at the
Creekside restaurant for dinner. The place was packed for a private Republican party fund raiser. A few dropped by our boat that evening to chat and admire...we met Steve and Patti who invited us to stay at their club as we made it further down the Hudson.




This is fun! I just did the Waterford to NYC trip in a kayak and also greatly appreciated the hospitality of the Chelsea Yacht Club, who let me park my loaded kayak safely on their dinghy beach while I stayed with an old friend in the area. I'll be posting pictures of the federal lock, the Slater, and the Capt. JP 2 (bit of a joke for me as I have 2 friends who both go by Captain JP) in my next update, Day 1 was from Lock 2 at Waterford to Bronck Island.
ReplyDeleteAnd here's a funny thing - I have to go home and see if I can make out the name on the bulk carrier that I saw heading up the Ambrose Channel towards the lower harbor when I went whale-watching off of the Rockaway Peninsula last Friday but she sure looked like the same one you got here -
4th picture from the end
Good luck on your continuing voyage!