I sit and write today’s blog post at 20:00 today…exhausted
from the day and what a day it was! Not like the lazy sunny days of the 1000
Islands last week. Definitely the right decision to make our run across the
border to Oswego a few days ago. The winds and rain haven’t let up…well,
actually it did a bit this morning when we awoke at 06:30 with things still to
do to in preparation for the mast de-stepping at 08:00.
Got dressed, wiped the cockpit enclosure from rain as it will need to come off and be stored; topped up the water tank; loosened the
shroud turn-buckles (like big metal bolts that tighten the wires that hold up
the mast) so we don’t waste time when the crane operator lifts the mast off the
boat. With help from our dock neighbour holding our bow dock line, we backed
out the only way we could due to tight surroundings and made our way to the
crane for 07:30. Bernie, the crane operator arrived and started his
preparations to lift the mast. It all went smoothly; he was quite impressed
with the horses my son and I prefabricated back at EYC on July 16…the day we
left home port. The configuration of the horses had the mast passing right
through the cockpit enclosure…which caused us to hit our heads no less than 4 or 5
times. Between that and the radar dome which had us sitting off to the side to steer the boat…not
ideal but it should be only for a few days…in good weather (which is to come)! We then strapped down the mast, pumped out and
filled up with Diesel…all set to tackle our first locks.
The first lock is Lock 8…There are a few methods
depending on the lock; you wrap your mid-ship line around a cable or pole so it
can slide up or down as the water rushes in or empties out of the lock. Or you grab a rope that is already dangling from the top of the lock. Then with one person on the bow and one on the stern - each using a 2X2 - 8 foot stick to fend off
the slimy wall as the water rushes in beneath the boat pushing and twisting it.
The first lock, our very first lock ever was a little daunting. We got better as
we went along. After Lock 8 we had to stop as I grab a taxi to the nearest
AT&T…we needed data for our weather apps. So currently, we have a new
number to reach us: 315-591-3260.
We continued on through Lock 7. (What the captain hasn't volunteered is that there were some tears of frustration in the cockpit today....not just because of the number of times I smacked my own head...but also at the challenge that we faced today. I believe it was after the 3rd collision with the mast & my head and experiencing our 2nd lock that I broke down and said through a few tears....."I want to go home"....although I wasn't ready to LOL....I did make myself laugh at the thought of not having "that home" to return to.....so - I'd best pull myself together and get through this day....after all, it was a first - we did fairly well and we will only improve). At Lock 6…a strange puff of
white smoke came from our exhaust and then strange noises. We immediately pulled
off, tied up, (most locks have a wall for boats to tie up and wait for the
lock) checked the engine, all was fine, temperature was good…still running. I
walked back to the lock attendant and ask about strange noises from the lock…he
confirmed the strange noises were in fact the sound of the lock doors closing. He also gave me the secret of doing the locks… "go
slow, we get paid by the hour"…ha! We shoved off and continued on…the next lock
was 40 minutes away. Roughly 20 minutes up river as Julie and I were chatting, the
engine started to increase revs all on its own...faster and faster. The engine
was running away on us, then another bigger puff of white smoke from the exhaust. I shifted it into neutral and we thought the engine had died; Julie turned on
the power for the windlass (motor than drops and raises the anchor) and I ran
up to the bow to drop the anchor in the middle of the river…things weren't
looking good. I was thinking of who do we call for help; if we stay here do we
have room to swing? What could possibly be wrong with the engine?…Everything
looks fine…the engine is still running, still goes forward and reverse…WTH?!
We pull up anchor and continue at reduced speed. I call my brother Rick
(mechanic by trade) and explained the symptoms, he provided some insight…we
continued at reduced speed for the next while through Lock 5 and then another 1.5
hours through Lock 3 (there is no Lock 4) without another hiccup…I will do a
multi-point check on the engine in the morning when it has cooled down. (Update: With plenty of thought and research on the matter, it turns out there was a little too much oil in the crane case creating too much pressure so the oil was feeding back through the breather into the air intake. I removed 7.5L of oil and put the recommended amount of new oil (6L) in...never had the issue again.)
We fight the currents in Lock 3 and tied up to the wall in Fulton…the
winds are very strong so I put all fenders on the one side and doubled the
lines that secure us…lots of noises caused by the wind so Julie and I decide to
sleep in the salon (also known as the living room) on the settee’s (also known
as couches) in order to get a restful sleep.
My first mate has been awesome!! She has not only shown the
physical strength required but as well as the emotional strength…she has
clearly indicated her desire to trudge on. This leg of the trip is certainly a
test of our wit, perseverance, character, strength and desire to be in a warmer
climate. (Amen)
Cheers
Dwayne & Julie
sv BoomDeYada
MMSI# 316026055
Skype: dwayne.sadler or Julia.sadler




No comments:
Post a Comment