Saturday, July 19, 2014

First sign of trouble

Departed Belleville at 09:00, probably a little earlier than planned due to the lack of hot water in showers. Maybe because transiting the Bay of Quinte requires some attention but we find ourselves keeping watch constantly; both checking the charts and pointing out the buoys...no time to learn guitar or read one of our 1500 ebooks. :) I'm sure this will change once we are in the open waters of the Caribbean.

The winds were lite again so we had to motor-sail. Usually when we turn up Long Reach towards Picton the wind is on our nose (on our nose: coming right at us so we can't sail), but this time we were able to use our main sail pulled in tight, also known as a close reach. Adam and Laura were planning to come to meet us by car so we by-passed Picton (no yacht clubs can accommodate a 45ft sailboat). So we thought we would turn the corner eastward up the Adolphus Reach briefly and anchor at Adolphustown for the night. Five minutes previously, we heard the engine slow down for a second, but it picked right back up. However, a little later the engine just suddenly quit ...."This is a shake down cruise" as Julie reminded me. I thought I should assess the engine before trying to start it again, so Julie took the helm and kept us on course with just the main sail up. Julie didn't know it but my heart was pumping (although, she told me later that was why she stayed so calm even though her On my way! heart was pounding....she knew my heart was pumping. Like WTF it's day 4 and we have this happen. The thoughts were racing through my mind as to possibilities and where could we sail to, where could we find a mechanic.... I grab my trouble light (torch), open the engine compartment and take a look...no water spraying or below the engine, no fire (whew), no diesel fuel spewing or smelling. Hmm, everything looks good. A diesel engine is quite different from a gasoline engine; good thing I just took the diesel mechanic course last winter....I'm thinking it's not getting fuel. I crack the nut on the fuel line and call out to Julie to crank over the engine...I'm not seeing the amount of fuel spraying out that I should, so I try the fuel line for cylinder 2,3 and 4....same thing. The fuel gauge has been showing 1/2-3/4 tank full which seems about right so I decide It's time to use a life line....I called my brother Rick who is moments away from the USA border and will be shutting off his phone. I give a brief status of what I have done and that I suspect the fuel pump...I know he can't fix it from there but sometimes it's just the comfort of talking it through with an expert. Based on our conversation, I opened a floor board, unscrewed the tank gauge instrument and lowered a measuring stick that the previous owner conveniently kept on board into the fuel tank...practically empty! Better to learn this now. Our situation could have been a lot worse...like coming into Myers Peir Marina the night before. It's a good thing I had four full fuel cans on my back deck, 20 gallons in total (our fuel tank holds 63 gallons). I unsecured the filler cap on the deck and poured them all in, then had Julie crank the engine....no start. I called Rick back to give him the good and the bad news...basically air in the lines...watching a diesel mechanic the other day I learned a little trick to suck the fuel from the tank and bingo, she started up and we were on our way. Julie was so proud of her man, I was just so pleased that it all worked out that easy for us...it happened at the right time and the right place...whew, our first incident! I know there will be more.

We anchored around 15:00, had very deserving anchor drink and relaxed until I took the dink ashore to pick up Adam and Laura...they said they wouldn't stay the night but I knew after a few drinks and as darkness set in - none of us would want to make the dinghy ride to shore. We enjoyed an excellent gourmet meal done on the BBQ which is mounted on our stern (back) rail, a few drinks and good laughs. I dropped them the next morning at 09:00 and we headed out to our next harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment