The night was so peaceful, that I was awoken each time I heard the bilge pump go on...actually, after the first two times I probably didn't go back to sleep. Every 2-3 hours wasn't a good thing and decided we need to have our keel looked at sooner than anticipated. I can now conclude that when we grounded last month, it caused more damage than first thought.
Coincidently, early this morning, we passed a sailboat that had run aground. Our chartplotter was indicating marsh where they were aground, but no grass was apparent...obviously they weren't following their charts. To get off the ground, they had rowed their dinghy back a distance, then physically dropped their anchor (probably their backup anchor) and attached the anchor line to their cockpit winch. Then using the power/leverage of the winch, they manually cranked by hand slowly inching back off the ground. They also should have had the boat in reverse gear for added thrust. This is the only time you would hope for a power boat to pass by throwing a wake to help lift you off the ground.
Well, the winds were not near as bad as predicted
![]() |
| Looking back in Albermarle Sound |
Our data sources were telling us that when anchoring in Alligator River, we should use a trip line on our anchor due to obstructions and debris like tree roots on the bottom. So I tied a rope to the front bend of the anchor hook and the other end to an empty plastic jug to float above the anchor. I wasn't taking any chances with our new $1,000, 73lb Rocna 'bay boy' anchor. Fortunately, we had no problem the next morning lifting the anchor.
By the time it was dark, there were 20 boats anchored in the vicinity...crab pots to the left, crab pots to the right, and no wifi or cellular signal here tonight. Another 45 miles warmer today.
![]() |
| Sunset from Alligator River |



No comments:
Post a Comment