Monday, November 12, 2012

Getting her home

Annapolis, MD - A few days after hurricane Sandy rolled over the eastern seaboard, luckily no serious damage was sustained in Annapolis. Julie and I worked most of the weekend taking down anything above deck that was too tall to pass under bridges during transport back to Toronto. On the Monday, we had arrived early for a few last minute things. I can see Andrews Trucking LTD had already arrived; the driver probably asleep in his cab. An hour later the crane showed up as planned to take down the mast; as they lifted it, the leverage was enough to lift the guy a couple feet in the air...scary as he held on to gain control. 

The height of the pedestal in the cockpit was a concern; Kevin, the truck driver, wanted it down...so with the boat held in the slings of the travel-lift I went to it; what I thought was going to be an impossible job (one of the rigging companies offered their assistance at a cost: 2 hours @ $100/hr)...the job I was dreading only took me 10 minutes...whewww! 

With trucking curfews and the border crossing, our boat arrived Wednesday morning, a day late, but all intact. Port Credit Marina splashed her at 1:00PM, I single-handedly docked her with a little scare when the dock line slipped off the stern cleat as I pulled from the dock.

PCM stepped the mast late Friday and my brother and I immediately headed out for a 2 hour motor to EYC without issue. We arrived in the dark...she is a big one to maneuver...this will take time to learn how to handle. :)

So as of yesterday, Nov. 11, she is tied and shrink wrapped for the winter months...just need to winterize...and christen.

No comments:

Post a Comment