At Normans Cay, there is a cut (deeper section of water where the current passes through with each ebb and flow of the tides) where everyone anchors as it's too shallow elsewhere. The boats swing from side to side as the tidal current changes every 6 hours...the wind has little effect.
![]() |
| Acting like the rich and famous |
Later, after happy hour on Vaiata, we return to our boat and find a trawler anchored pretty close. I dinghy over to the trawler who is from New Brunswick (an east Canadian province), and he reassures me he's fine where he is...he's a nice guy and seems to know what he's doing. That night the winds were blowing strong (again!) Around 04:00 I move up to sleep in the cockpit as there will be little time to react if we start to drag. The trawler is now closer, and over the next half hour I shine my torch light on it to check distance. Well, now its too close and as I'm about to yell over, the owner opens his door and steps out on deck. I told him that according to my instruments I haven't dragged, which puts the onus on him to correct the situation as he dropped anchor after me (sailors etiquette or just common sense). As we chatted, the wind and current brought our boats within feet of each other; as he reached out to fend off our boat, I ran downstairs to turn on power to the helm, then jumped up behind the helm to start the engine. I turned the rudder hard to port and gave a good shot of forward thrust to swing my stern away. Naturally, with the start of the engine, Julie and Wally were quickly in the cockpit ready to provide assistance for whatever the circumstances were. The trawler owner fought to bring his anchor up, then moved 100 feet further back behind us. I stayed in the cockpit until sunrise - 07:00, then went below for a few hours of sleep. Our timing earlier was coincidental and lucky as we would have surely hit each other...note to self: trawlers and sail boats don't swing the same in current and wind. The next day, Ian from Southern Flight, arrived by dinghy offering a bottle of wine as an apology for the near miss earlier that morning, which we thought was such a nice gesture. We would run in to them (not physically) a few times as we made our way down the Exumas chain and became good friends by the time we reached George Town.
The winds will be clocking around to blow from the East...we decide to sail 23 miles to Warderick Wells Cay as we will find good protection from the strong East wind expected.
![]() |
| Boats in the cut on moorings in the deeper dark blue water |
![]() |
| Wardrick Wells National Park from the rangers station |



No comments:
Post a Comment