The winds expected early this morning had been delayed until 09:00. We received a called from
Beaufort Downtown Marina (BDM) to confirm our reservations. They were really hoping that we were going to cancel as several boats already at their dock wanted to stay another night due to the weather. We told them we were definitely going to be there around 11:00...timing it for slack tide (when there is no current as we will already have strong winds to deal with as we dock). They said "Checkout time is 12:00, don't come before then, hail us once you come through the bridge". We called the little marina 200' from us,
Ladys Island Marina...it wasn't our first choice and it didn't look that great, plain with a number of derelict boats. I spoke with TJ, the harbor master, who was also experiencing the same problem as boats didn't want to leave in this weather..."Sorry, no slips available". But he had lots of information and advice about anchoring here. TJ offered to pick me up and take me down river to see another anchorage, I declined the offer as we still had the BDM reservation. We chatted for a while and he said he would let us know if anything came available. Thirty minutes later he motored out to us and said, "I have a spot for you but its tight, come I'll show you it". It's only 50' wide in the channel between the docks of other boats...we're 45' long plus a dinghy hanging off our stern. A bird in the hand...we'll take it! TJ says, "The boat anchored further down with reservations will come in first, then you". "We will have extra guys on the dock to catch you". We prepared BoomDeYada with lines and fenders on both sides. Through the binoculars, I watch the other boat; he aborts and backs back into the creek. His second attempt wasn't pretty either as his bow got pushed by the wind in to the dock too early but the crew of guys on the dock is able to pull him in. I figured he went way too slow which allowed the wind and current to get the better of him...I'm going to come in fast, play the current and wind and kick my stern around with some forward thrust. There were three guys on the dock to grab our lines, one on the adjacent boat in case we were pushed into him. It all went as planned except the wind died just as we made our turn, our bow now against the end of the dock."Wait for the wind" someone yells out and the wind comes back, pushes us out and we are able to slide into the slip. After we were secured to the dock, TJ said they were happy to see someone come in at the proper speed and that it would have been perfect if the wind hadn't died. I had to think, if it wasn't this time of year with so many boats going south everything would be much simpler.
Steve and TJ who manage the place, along with the other staff have been over-the-top friendly and helpful. Before leaving us on the dock, they said, "Just let us know if you need anything. We have bikes, a car you can use, etc.". We settled in and headed up to the office to fill out the forms where we learned that the wifi was broken and too many know-it-alls tried to fix it but made it worse. Hmmm...at the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, technology is my background. They explain the problem, I look at the problem, I'm able to overcome the broken piece of hardware and it's fixed in 20 minutes...the marina once again has wifi out at the docks. What a great way to score some points with the management! We borrowed their car and went for groceries. TJ and Steve are quite funny with their bantering and bickering at each other...all in good fun as good friends would do.
At around 16:30, Julie was tired and wanted to rest for 45 minutes just as TJ drops by our boat and asked if we want to go shoot some pool (billiards) at The Fillin' Station next door...my ears perk up and I said, "Billiards? Let me get my shoes on".
 |
| Can you tell its been around for decades? |
He warned me the place was a dive...not to sound prudish, but definitely not a place I would ever enter. TJ's friend Jason came, so did another live-aboard (someone who lives aboard their boat full-time) and another cruising couple from our dock. Uneven painted concrete floor, 4'x8' wafer board for the ceilings, $1 dollar bills stuck all-over the walls and ceiling and about 8 old regulars sitting at the bar with dingy lighting...drinks are $5, beers $3.50, Wednesday nights you get a hamburger, hot dog and fries for $4, And its only .75cents for the pool table...I never did use the washrooms. We played 9 ball, TJ was a pretty good player, but I was on fire...this Canadian boy gladly took some abuse as I stayed on the table for at least 12 games straight. Julie arrived around 19:00 and TJ's wife shortly after...we enjoyed ourselves tremendously.
No comments:
Post a Comment